Saturday 12 December 2009

Put Your N’s On It….NaijaMan/Flygerian

After a weekend of blatant intoxication, I sat in front of my friends 50 inch television, searching for inspiration. Generally when you’re bored, drunk or awake and have nothing to watch on the 999 channels provided by Sky, there is no other option than to channel hop. I seemed to come across a channel dedicated to Nigerian culture, at first with my non-racist, rude self I made a joke beyond the lines of “What are they going to show us? A chef telling us how to cook Jolloff rice for the whole village”. To my surprise I was mistaken, and my intentional pun was used against me. Statistically Nigeria is pioneering in both it’s film and music industries whilst combining rap, electro beats and our favourite Nollywood stars, whom are featured in these western influenced music videos. After physically coming to terms with my stomach muscles working overtime, due to the British African comedy show, this great video, of a tiny, little boy, RAPPING, like Weezy, Kid Cudi and Chingy; with a native twist.

He goes by the name of Lil JoJo, he was plastered over our computer screens in late 2008, showcasing his imitation of Jigga (Jay-Z). Who said viral video’s doesn’t create a star! He has recently released a Nigerian hip-hop song called Gini (I’m not African, so I don’t know what it means), although not age appropriate; it’s an actual catchy, toe tapping song.

Nigerian culture is forever expanding, and we’re seeing the Naija-Man and Flygerian brands create a following only witnessed by those on the front line. With artists such as Bigz, Kidderachi, Kid Bliss and Afrikan Boy standing strong and representing their culture, being Nigerian is no longer something to hide or be ashamed of. Being Nigerian is officially the new nationality to be. Ten years ago, we would have never predicted this change, although not from Africa directly, I’m very proud to see justice, poverty and life restore it’s original self. Where people can be, who they want to be.

Peace, Love and NaijaBoyz


Therryi-Jay

xxx

www.twitter.com/therryijay

1 comment:

  1. I only discovered Nollywood two years ago... Not even knowing it even existed before that! Now I am HOOKED!!! Gooo Naija!

    ReplyDelete

Followers